Friday, August 28, 2015

Today Was Trying but I'm Thankful

My littlest love thought waking up at 5 am this morning was a good idea. I didn't think so. Little stinker!
My middle love thought spilling a full bowl of cereal this morning was a good idea. I didn't think so.
My biggest love didn't do anything this morning (other than whine about not having regular tennis shoes - but I get it), so she's on my "Favorite Things Today" list. ;o)
My littlest love also thought dumping an entire bottle of YL Peace and Calming II all over my bed and himself was a good idea. I didn't think so. $30 bucks down the drain (or on my mattress. whatev.)

Then it hit me. I have been on this "need to have everything perfect" kick without even realizing that I'm doing it. I got angry, sad, upset, you name it. Then I had a little epiphany. Why wasn't I trying to see the good in things that happen? Why am I not being more thankful? I busted out laughing while putting the sheets in the dryer with my kiddo's sheets - oh you best believe I wasn't going to let that $30 go to waste without trying to reap the benefits of a spill! Emma looked at me like I was nuts! Maybe I am...a little. :oP But this is what I realized -- at least I am home with my kids to be able to take a little nap during the day with the Little Stinker I spoke of above (okay, not really me. What are naps anyway?) Amelia surely didn't mean to dump her cereal. She was just as upset as me. Then I realized - while pouring her second bowl - I get to shop for groceries, milk and cereal included, each week without breaking the bank or having to leave things off my list because my husband is fortunate enough to have a job in this horrible economy right now. And as for the oil spill - I'm just glad it was on my bed and sheets and not down the drain or on our wood floors. At least Kris and I will be able to sleep a little better tonight!

So, that's what I'm going to try to do from now on. I am going to be thankful for the situations God puts me through. I am going to try to always find the good in the crap that tends to happen. Always. Even if I have to smile through clenched teeth, because let's be honest, it'll be difficult sometimes. I mean, we pretty much wing everything we do as a family anyway so things are bound to happen. Did I also mention I have a son who thinks he is a ninja 24 hours a day? Yeah, hi-ya, pow, waaaa. All. Day. Long. It's absolutely awesome.

I also realized this today -- If you want to love the person you are, you need to find reasons to be thankful for who you are already. I'll just leave y'all with that. I love my life and I love you guys. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment